Sequoyah District

Sparta, TN

Rock House Chapter members serve as docents at the Rock House when it is open
The Rock House was an early toll house and stage stop
Built by Barlow and Madison Fisk between 1835 and 1839
The Rock House is on the National Register of Historic Places and the Tennessee State Historical Register
In 1930, a DAR chapter chose the Rock House as their chapter name
ArrowArrow
ArrowArrow
Rock House Chapter members serve as docents at the Rock House when it is open
Slider

 

The Rock House, built between 1835-1839, was a toll house and stage stop on the early stagecoach road which ran from Knoxville to Nashville. It is believed that the sandstone building was built by Barlow Fisk, who is said to have operated a store at the place as late as 1852. Famous patrons included James K. Polk, Andrew Jackson, and Sam Houston.

 

In 1930, a DAR chapter was chartered in Sparta and chose the Rock House as their chapter name. Their interest in the landmark has continued undiminished, and they repair, furnish and attend to it as part of their chapter activities.

 

The State of Tennessee bought the Rock House and its grounds in 1941, and appointed the Rock House DAR Chapter as custodians of the historic site. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973, and on the Tennessee State Historical Register about 1961.

 

The Tennessee Society DAR makes annual contributions to the Rock House, which is also supported by other organizations and concerned individuals and local businesses, as well as by the State of Tennessee.

 

Video Courtesy of Sparta and White County Chamber of Commerce

 

More Information

For information about the Rock House, contact rockhousesite@tndar.org.